Thursday, January 3, 2019

Running the London Marathon for Children’s Hospice South West

Hello and thank-you for reading my blog. It’s for a wonderful cause. 


In 2018 I stepped down after 14 years service to Somerset County Cricket Club. To mark the end of my service the Club have agreed to support me in trying to raise £26,300 (a £1,000 a mile) for Children’s Hospice South West by running the London Marathon on April 28th. I’ve never been a runner so I’m doing this from scratch and in October after six months training I completed the Royal London Parks Half Marathon. I’m somewhat daunted by the challenge of doubling this in April which will be only a few weeks away from my 62nd birthday! 


CHSW provide the most incredible support for children with life-limiting conditions and their families. They have built and run 3 hospices across Cornwall, Devon and Somerset entirely funded by voluntary donations. Their annual running costs are ca £10m so they are heavily reliant on fundraising to sustain their service. 


If you’re able to support me in this quest I’d be extremely grateful. There are a few ways in which people and companies can help:


  1. I’m looking for more corporate sponsors - I’m grateful so far to The Mission Marketing Group plc, Bray Leino Ltd, Somerset County Cricket Club, NBA Ltd, Vaultex Ltd, Greenslade Taylor Hunt, The Friends of Taunton Titans RFC and the Cheddoners Society for their generous support. 
  2. Donate items or experiences we can list and sell on the Hospice’s eBay site
  3. Straightforward sponsorship to my page https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-display/showROFundraiserPage?pageId=997635
  4. Providing publicity through media channels which link back to my fundraising page
  5. Networking. Any individuals or companies you’re able to introduce me to. 


Anything you’re able to do would be hugely appreciated. 


I’ll be blogging regularly as my training progresses and the event draws near. 


Thank-you 


Andy